How to Fest
Theaters, Rules, and Regulations
At the Sundance Institute, we believe in the magic of the cinematic experience. Nothing can match the experience of discovering a new filmmaker or movie alongside your fellow independent film lovers. To honor our filmmakers’ craftsmanship, all of our theaters are outfitted with Dolby Digital Sound and projected with Barco D-Cinema projectors.
Theater Rules and Regulations
All Festival patrons must adhere to the following guidelines which will be posted at each theater. Regulations applicable to all venues include:
- Ticketholders and eligible passholders must be in the appropriate line at least 15 minutes before a film’s published start time to give you the best chance of admission.
- The use of cameras or other recording equipment during screenings is strictly prohibited.
- By entering the theater, patrons consent to be photographed/filmed, and grant Sundance Institute and its successors and partners — including signed parties, carrier stations, network station(s), sponsor(s), advertising agents, and their affiliated entities — the right to record and use their likeness, voice, and name worldwide in perpetuity for any purpose whatsoever. In addition, they release the above parties from any and all liability for loss or damage to person or property while they are at or around the theater.
- Once inside the theater, all cell phones and electronic devices must be turned off prior to the introduction of the film.
- No babies in arms or strollers are permitted in theaters.
- Pets — except for service animals — are prohibited.
- Filmgoers must take all personal belongings and litter with them upon exit. Any items left behind may be disposed of.
- The Sundance Film Festival reserves the right to search the personal belongings of any patron inside or around the premises of the theaters.
- All filmgoers agree to comply with all published and stated rules and regulations.
Once at an official theater, any patron who wants to request accessibility-related accommodation, such as a wheelchair space or an assistive listening device, should speak with a Festival staff member as soon as they arrive. Please see Accessibility Statement and Requests for more information.
Megaplex Theatres at The Gateway
Select films at Megaplex Theatres at The Gateway (Salt Lake City) will be shown in multiple theaters simultaneously. As such, live intros and (when applicable) Q&As will be hosted in a designated primary theater and simulcasted live to the alternate theaters. Please note that you are purchasing entry to a film at a particular time, but the theaters will be filled according to pass/ticket type and then first come, first served. Therefore, your purchase of a ticket to a screening with a Q&A does not guarantee you a space in the designated primary theater.
Lost and Found
If you lose an item, first check the place where you think you left it. If you cannot find it, file a claim. Any unclaimed items will be donated to charity in February 2023. For all items lost at non-Festival locations, contact the venue directly.